Monday, March 16, 2009

TMF Wildflower Training Weekend

As I sit here, Stella is still in her box, my bags are still packed, the dinner dishes are still out, and I'm too tired to do anything about any of it. But it was totally worth it- what a great weekend!

The "weekend" actually started on Tuesday when I took Stella to the bike shop to get all packed up for her long journey. Thanks to the AWESOME guys of Bike Connection, I got Stella, my helmet, bike shoes, a pair of running shoes, my water bottles, AND my wetsuit all packed into the bike box. And all I had to do was drop it off and pick it up. They even gave me the box to use.

Wednesday: Woke up at o-dark-thirty to fly to San Francisco. Got picked up by my good buddy Mick who did a super job of putting Stella all back together again. It was a little unnerving to see her in pieces like that! Nice and easy 60-min run through Golden Gate Park. Had a few glasses of wine and a yummy Indian dinner out with some Smofo girlfriends- it was SO nice to get to see you all!




Thursday:
Took Stella out for a spin to make sure everything was screwed on tight and working properly. Went to the local pool for a swim and a treadmill interval workout (Jen, if you're reading this, the next time you tell me to do "my favorite swim workout" I will be sitting in the hot tub with a margarita. Just sayin'.). Stopped by Sports Basement to load up on training nutrition for the weekend's activities- I'm glad we were in a hurry because I could have spent a long time and many dollars there! Hung out with The Macinator! and his mom, who took me on a very nice little tour of SF. We walked around Haight-Ashbury and the Mission, went to Amoeba Music, and had a great dinner. We also fell prey to an overzealous meter maid... I may be from the flat swampland, but even I seriously doubt that was a 3% incline!

Friday: Packed up the Mini and we're off! To Lake San Antonio, that is. On the way, I learned about In N Out Burger, subjected an innocent Aussie to country music singalongs, successfully piloted the Mini, and did a lot of oohing and aahing over the scenery. So, so different from NOLA. Green rolling hills, misty-covered mountains, vineyards and farmland as far as you could see. Once we got there and everyone got settled into the cabins (which some people tried to make more complicated than it needed to be :P) it was time for a quick shakedown ride, sunset transition run, and then a meeting with Coach Neil. The hills certainly didn't waste any time in kicking my butt! Right at the beginning of the bike course was a biggie that nearly took the wind right out of my sails. I had been scared of the long course ride before that, but now was when I started to get *terrified*. After the ride and run, we all gathered in cabin 8 for introductions, a talk on training/racing nutrition and some general Q&A. We hadn't done an incredible amount of working out that day, but somehow I was just exhausted! I was about to fall asleep standing there. I really enjoyed meeting everyone and socializing- everyone was so nice- but as soon as we were done I headed for bed and was out like a light.









Saturday: The day started with a swim. Apparently a very early swim on "California time". The lake was fairly cold, but not bad. I actually had a great swim. It was my third time in cold open water in a wetsuit and it was the first time I really felt comfortable. I got into a great rhythm and just cruised. My sighting is still bad though. I need to work on that in the pool.

Then... it was time. Time for the bike ride I had been getting more and more terrified of by the minute. "The last 12 miles are the hardest", Coach Neil said, so we were to ride conservatively to save up for Nasty Grade and the rollers that followed. I was so scared I could barely talk. I knew it was going to kill me, I just KNEW it. How could I possibly get up those hills? I was going to be cranking as hard as I could and I would still slow to a stop and fall over. I'd have to walk up half of it. If I didn't just die first, that is. What business did I have thinking that I, a person who lives below sea level, could even attempt to hang with these Californians who eat hills for breakfast?? We lined up for a photo, then there was no more time for anticipation- we were off!



That first hill was HARD again, but Charles was nice enough to get a flat on the downside so we had a few minutes' rest. The middle of the ride was pretty nice, actually. The countryside was beautiful, the weather couldn't have been more perfect, Coach Neil drove the SAG wagon and met up with us every ten miles or so, and everyone in our group rode well together and got along.



But that knot in my stomach kept getting tighter and bigger... Nasty Grade was still ahead of me, and I was feeling overmatched. When we were a few miles out from it, I was so scared that I started to get nauseous. When we turned the corner and Coach Neil said, "Here it is! Go for it!" I actually started to cry.

No way out now, no way to go but up. I crankcrankcranked, stayed in the saddle for as long as I could, counted my pedal strokes, concentrated on my breathing. I made it to the "false summit" in the middle where it levels out a bit and was able to catch my breath a little. I was definitely working hard though. Then I turned the corner and it just went up, up, and up. Crankcrankcrank, breathe, crank, sit, stand, I'm not gonna make it, I can't do this, How much further??, sit, stand, breathe, CRANK. The last 100 yards and it just gets steeper. I couldn't even look ahead- if I looked alllll the way up to the top so far away I would die. Breathe, crank, I can't, I have to, I can't, I won't make it, I have to, sit, stand, crank. I saw a sign up ahead- I'll just make it to that sign and then I'll stop and walk. Can I even make it there? Wait, is that Coach Neil's car by that sign? Is that the top? I can't make it. Am I really almost there? By some amazing stroke of luck, I made it to the top, heard Coach Neil say "you did it!", then pulled over, got off the bike, and stood there gasping for air. My body was trying to cry but I didn't have enough breath in me to do it. I just made these little whimper-grunty noises. I walked back towards Neil, he reached out for Stella, and I practically flung her at him and kept walking. A minute or so later the others started showing up. Roxanne and Karen were all, "Is that it?? That wasn't so bad!" while I'm standing there about to keel over.

After a few minutes to regain our composure and refuel, we were off again. Yes, I'd made it up Nasty Grade. NO it did not make me feel any more confident about hills! It just proved to me that yes, they are as scary as I thought! The last 9 miles or so of the ride were all about survival. I was beyond dead at that point. Mick was feeling rough too. We told each other, "If I can do it, you can do it". I had to repeat that in my head a few times, especially when we hit the last tough climb coming in to the park. When we passed the "Prepare to Stop" sign at the park entrance, I would've laughed if I had any energy at all. I thought, "I've been 'prepared to stop' for a long time now, thanks!"

Back at the cabin. We made it! Now time for a run! Before we could contemplate that though, we all made a beeline for any available horizontal crashing surface and collapsed for a few minutes.

Cyrus, tired but feeling accomplished, and Michele, who was recovering from the Oly course ride:


The smile must be from the delirium setting in... but note that I am changed and ready to run!


The run was a really good idea actually. My legs felt better at the end than they did at the beginning. The 'ice bath' in the lake after the run felt even better! Then after a much-needed shower, it was time to EAT. BBQ chicken, lasagna, potato salad, grilled sausages, I can't even remember what all I ate. But it was a lot, and it was good :)



A recap of the day from coaches and captains, and we were off to bed again.


Sunday: Long course run. Two of the other girls and I ran together and we had a great time. The weather was PERFECT again, the scenery was beautiful, the conversation was good. Almost half the course was on trails which was really neat. Some challenging hills, but very fun. The "Pit of Despair" at mile 10 was definitely not despair-worthy, we were feeling good! Took it easy down the very steep incline heading in to the transition area, then opened up and went as fast as my legs wanted to take me to the finish line. What a GREAT run! Another cold dip in the lake, quick shower and then, sadly, it was time for our goodbyes.



What a great weekend. Challenging, tiring, but great. Everyone was so nice, friendly and fun. I got to see a new city, meet some new friends, hang out with some old ones, train in a new place, get some (painful but necessary) hill experience, and generally just have a blast! Thanks again so much to Coach Neil and the rest of the TriMoreFitness team. I'd love to come train with you all again sometime!

1 comment:

Mookl said...

Excellent summary Andrea. Thanks so much for trekking so far to join us. I'm SO glad you had a good trip and hope the 'hills' really are a little but less scary now. Really :)