Friday, May 8, 2009

Becoming...

Made it through another tough weekend. Three more Build weeks before starting my taper. Weekends used to be a time to rest and recuperate from the long week. Now, the weekdays are my downtime that I use to recover from/prepare for my weekends! I actually get up earlier on Saturday and Sunday now than I do during the week. Sleeping in? What's that? I vaguely remember something like that, it seems so long ago...

This weekend ended up being tougher than I thought it would be. I knew Sunday's long brick was going to be a challenge and I'd been psyching myself up for that. I figured the long bike on Saturday would be OK since it was shorter than the previous week's long ride, which had gone well. So when I could tell within the first few miles that Saturday's ride was going to be a struggle, I wasn't quite prepared for that. Nutrition and hydration worked out fine, the wind was there but it wasn't terrible, I just wasn't feeling it. My legs were tired and I was sleepy-tired too. I remember when A told me how he crashed his bike on the levee a year or two ago. He was training for either Ironman or Ultraman, was on a 6+ hour ride, and fell asleep while riding and crashed. It was a funny story but I really didn't "get it" at the time. Well, I get it now! It didn't happen to me but it was close a few times.

I was bummed out that the ride hadn't gone very well, because it worried me that maybe I was doing something wrong. Was I eating right? Sleeping enough? Getting enough sleep has been a struggle for me for a long time but I'd actually done pretty well that week leading up to the ride. Then I thought, well, I *am* in the biggest month of training right now, doing the most volume I've ever done- maybe I'm supposed to feel a little bit like this? Maybe I just have to get myself through these next few weeks, and then I'll get a bunch of energy back during my taper. Or maybe it was just "one of those days".

An interesting thing occurred to me as I was biking/running this weekend though. I was thinking about the tough time I was having and I was mentally going over the next few weekends' workouts, trying to imagine what it would be like and how I'd get through them. I admit I was (and am) a little intimidated. Then I thought, wait a minute- if I can get through these next few weekends of training, I CAN do Ironman. I'm doing approximately an Ironman or more over the course of the weekend each of the next three weeks. So if I can do that three weekends in a row, with no taper and while still doing my regular weekday schedule of training and work, hey- I can handle CDA! Wow, what a thought. It was one of those light-bulb moments. My ratio of excited:terrified for June 21st just jumped up on the side of excited. It's going to be a LOT of work to get there, and it's going to be a ton of work once I do get there, but for the first time I think I actually feel like I might show up prepared. Yes, I know my coach has told me over and over that I would be, and yes Jen I do trust you! But you know me, if I'm not worrying about something, check my pulse.

The sleep thing is going to be my biggest challenge over these next few weeks. I know that if I can get my body enough rest, the workouts can only feel better. So far this week I've slept more, but still not enough. It's a start.

Last week's training totals (5/4 - 5/10):
Swim- 7960 yards
Bike- ~125 miles
Run- 28.9 miles
Total Time- 15:18

2 comments:

Molly said...

Great job on another big training week. You are almost there! You are so ready!!!!

trimarc said...

You should be feeling tired. Get lots of rest during the week. I hope you didn't ride by yourself last weekend. And I thought about what you said about me being a sheep. Keep in mind that I may be a sheep but I am leading the herd. NO MORE DRAFTING FOR ME! Good luck with the rest of your training. You are going to do EXTREMELY WELL my friend.

M.