Friday, December 19, 2008

Wait, what did I just say??

I've been feeling a change coming for a while now. There have been rumblings of it- the feelings of satisfaction after a long workout, getting excited over trying a new nutrition product, spending more of my day thinking about my key sessions for the week... Well it finally hit me the other day. As I was writing my workout comments for my coach, I realized that TWICE in two days, at two different workouts, I had very distinctly thought to myself, "This is FUN!" Once was a tempo run and once was a spinning interval workout. And I actually thought it was fun *while* I was doing it.

This may not seem like that big of a deal, but to me it's pretty huge. I've always enjoyed the fitness I get from working out, and I've always felt a commitment to keeping up with my training schedule, but I've never been able to say with a straight face that I really truly enjoy it. During school I used to get frustrated when I'd hear teammates and friends talk about loving running. Yeah, running was something I did and did a lot of, but it was always because of a sense of obligation, competitiveness, or just plain stubbornness. Definitely not because of any kind of love.

So how did this happen? I don't really know. It's not because I'm getting good at it and winning stuff, because that's definitely not happening. Maybe it has to do with being injured for a while and not being able to train. I'm finally doing more now than I was before the injury, and that does feel good. But however it happened, when I think of how I felt before my tempo run on Monday ("let's go, time to stretch the legs, this is going to feel good") compared to how I used to feel before tempo runs ("crap, this is going to hurt, when is it over??") the difference is pretty apparent! I'm still not going to go on the record and say that "I love running" or any kind of crazy talk like that, because it's definitely not all sunshine and puppies, but I have been having some good workouts.

And it's not all because of me by any means- I have to give a shout-out to my super-duper coach, Jennifer of Ironclad Coaching, since I would be a lazy blob without her, and to my PT, Mike of Babin Physical Therapy and Babin Tri-Sports, who keeps me going with regular tune-ups :)

With my next race being my biggest one so far (the New Orleans 70.3 in April) and my training volume increasing, I hope this new-found enjoyment continues. I'm still not too crazy about my long bikes... it would be great if those became fun all of a sudden, but I'm not holding my breath :)

1 comment:

Quality By Rich said...

I haven't felt that kind of love since maybe my first year of college track. I miss it. Back when i did feel that love, i agree that it was sporadic and not necessarily unconditional, but when i felt the love, it was pretty sweet and it made me feel good about all of the times that i ran and didn't necessarily love it. It usually happened during some fast speed workout or some race that felt great. Lately i find myself frequently wondering whether it is worth chasing that love for maybe one final summer before i completely give up on the idea and just become a recreational runner. Maybe i could fall in love with that, but i doubt it.