Wednesday, April 6, 2011

A New Kind Of Transition...

When I started this blog, I wrote about my transition from beginning triathlete to Ironman. Now, I have a nearly-as-exciting transition to write about: the transition of my house! From drab to fab, from passe to updated, from WTF? to OMG!

The work just started to really ramp up about 2-3 weeks ago, and already it's been exciting, infuriating, challenging, and fun. I've been taking pictures so I can remember the process, in all its frustrating and transformative glory.

A little background: I live in a 1920s house that I bought back in 2006. It's a classic New Orleans shotgun, with all the rooms in a line and no hallways. There's also a separate apartment/inlaw suite/guest quarters in the back of the yard. I love my house, I love my neighborhood, I love my neighbors- but the house is in serious need of some TLC. It doesn't just need one or two things repaired or updated; it needs EVERYTHING. What's not falling apart (window frames, siding) is either dated & ugly (fake brick wallpaper in the kitchen, wallpaper borders), cheaply done (bargain-bin bathroom fixtures, afterthought closets), or just downright inexplicable (wooden shutters nailed to the walls on the INSIDE of the living room).

There was no way I was going to be able to afford everything the house needed. UNTIL I found out about the 203K home renovation loan! The bank assesses the current value of your house and the value of the renovations it needs, adds them together and gives you a loan for the total amount so you can do the work with the extra money after you pay off your existing mortgage. They don't actually GIVE you the money, of course, they hold on to it and as the jobs get done you submit for a draw and they pay the contractor. It's like getting free money to redo your house!! OK not quite, but it definitely made the whole project possible.

So, to the present day: the guest house is getting done first. The plan is for me to then live back there while the crew is working on the main house. This is working out well because it's giving me time to pack up and move all my stuff from the main house, as well as get used to the process before we get to the work that matters the most.

As I write this, the shower is being built, the tiles are being grouted, and the kitchen cabinets are ready to be installed. I have plenty of pictures and will post them in order from day 1, catching up to where we are now. I know there are a lot of people back home who are very interested in what's going on down here, so hopefully this will be a good way to share all the ups & downs & latest updates! Stay tuned!

No comments: