Friday, February 27, 2015

Paw Tracks & Trailer Packs

Took Kodi for a walk yesterday.  Since it was around zero degrees for the umpteenth day in a row, not too many other people were out.  I thought his tracks looked cute in the snow so I took some photos.



My Native American name means "Walks With Dogs":


Was that culturally insensitive?  No I don't actually have a Native American name.  Sorry if anyone was offended.  But if I did, that's probably what it would be.

I let Kodi run a little bit.  Man, his stride is HUGE!  He's actually part gazelle.


With my foot in the photo, for size reference:


WHATAREYOUDOING, AND CANIHELP??


That was going to be a good paw print photo.  In the undisturbed snow.  But anywhere Kodi goes, the word "undisturbed" seldom follows.


So we started packing the truck & trailer!  Like, the final pack of everything we want to take to Alaska.  We've been on the road, more or less, since Christmas.  Settling in at our new home sure sounds good.  BUT, the trip there is going to be awesome I'm quite sure.

The trailer couldn't get packed until the modifications were complete.  Give Rich a few days and some building supplies, and he can turn a regular old cargo trailer into this:


What's that, you ask?  What kind of animal do you think would be comfy in such a luxurious space?  What kind of animal is way worth all this effort?  I'll give you a hint, it eats hay and says "neigh".

YES!  WE'RE GETTING HORSES!!  For the first time since high school, I'll finally have a horse of my own.  I can't believe it's been as long as it has.  Not having horses in my life is a hole that I was always aware of for the whole ten years I spent in NOLA.  I'm so excited right now, I think I may explode.

But before I do, meet Stormy!



And Gaefa!


Stormur (Stormy) is a 5 year old Icelandic gelding.  Gaefa is a 7 year old Icelandic mare.  They are at two different farms near Edmonton, Alberta (yes that's in Canada).  We're going right through Edmonton anyway on our route, so we'll go meet each of them, and if everybody likes everybody they'll be coming with us to Alaska!!

I've loved Icelandics ever since I met them on a trip to Iceland in 2009.  I got to ride them at one of those paid trail ride places and I was hooked.  They're sturdy, stocky, fuzzy, smart, friendly, and easygoing.  Plus they have an amazing gait called the tolt, which was developed back in Viking days to be a really smooth gait so the Vikings could ride their horses long distances over rough terrain comfortably.  

This is me from 2009 in Iceland:



I remember telling myself I would have Icelandics of my own one day.  Well, it looks like "one day" might be here!!  They've both gotten their health testing for crossing the border and all looks good.  The only thing left is to meet them.  Whatever the word is beyond excited, like if there's one that means you have butterflies in your tummy and can't sit still, that's what I am.

1 comment:

Emily said...

Dad and I are so glad we came for a 21-hour visit to celebrate your birthday and give you kisses and hugs goodbye. We're very excited for you, and impressed with your preparedness for your upcoming trek! The truck is ready, including great new snow tires, and the trailer transformation is awesome beyond belief. Kudos, Rich, on creating a cozy, comfy, warm, safe nest-on-wheels for 2 people, 4 dogs, and 2 horses! TV, microwave, heater, generator, and even a special little door for petting horse muzzles! We'll be checking constantly for blog updates. Godspeed you guys!!!!!