Friday, November 28, 2008

Three Days And Counting...

That's how long it's been since I've been able to run/bike/swim/do anything besides sit in a hotel room and watch the news. It's a pretty trivial complaint, considering all the people here who have lost their lives, lost loved ones, and who are still unaccounted for. I know how extremely fortunate I am that missing workouts is the worst thing I have to deal with right now.

I wrote a big post with everything I've experienced since the attacks started, but it was too long to post here. Basically, it's been interesting for sure, but I've never felt too much in danger. I was probably the most scared while listening to the explosions the first night. Whenever we heard voices in the hallway of our hotel we would turn off the TV and stay really quiet for a few minutes. That whole night we stayed dressed and ready to run in case we needed to (I made sure to put on my sportsbra just in case!!). I wore my pants with the cargo pockets so I could carry my passport and some cash without worrying about it falling out. But luckily, that was as intense as it got for us. We never felt too freaked out, even then. I knew there wasn't anything I could do about what was happening, so I just made sure to stay alert and be ready to act if we needed to.

Over here in Mumbai, it was late at night Wednesday night when the attacks started. The whole day Thursday, we pretty much just stayed in the hotel room watching the news. We did venture out at one point to try to find some water. Every place was closed, but we could see some people moving around inside a restaurant on the corner where we had eaten dinner two days prior. They wouldn't let us in but they sold us two bottles of water. This was about 11:30 AM on Thursday. I took a few pictures out on the street just to capture what was going on. The street outside our hotel was very quiet. There were more pedestrians than I expected, but still much fewer than normal.


Around the corner from our hotel, police and military were blocking off the street that led down to the Taj.



At the end of the next street, we could see all the parked vehicles from the news stations that were covering the story.



Soldiers from the Indian army were stationed along the streets. This truck was parked directly across from our hotel.


The next day, Friday, we were finally able to meet up with the rest of my family. We are now at a different hotel, further from the action. Originally, we were all supposed to stay at the Trident, so my brother had to scramble around to find rooms somewhere else. Friday afternoon actually felt pretty normal- my mom and I, along with my brother's fiancee and two of her cousins went shopping for saris for my mom and I to wear for Saturday's party. We went to a big department store where the whole third floor was all saris. So many different fabrics in every different color you can imagine. And the beadwork and stitching is just amazing. Saris are so cool!

Now it's Saturday morning. My brother just left to go to the Trident to try and retrieve his luggage. He and his fiancee had sent their bags ahead to the hotel, before everything started happening. They've been living in borrowed clothes since then. My brother's suit for the party is in his bag, so hopefully he can get it back or he might be partying in a t-shirt tonight!

Today's mission for me is to find a treadmill. Even though life is pretty much going on as normal where we are, it's still too dangerous for me to run outside. And unfortunately this hotel doesn't have a gym. I'm also starting to worry a little about being able to get my flight out of here. I imagine the airport must be pretty backed up. I know that missing my race next week would be another very trivial complaint, but I'd really like to make it. Not much I can do about it now besides just wait and see. And enjoy myself while I'm here- can't wait to wear my sari tonight!

Thanks so much to everyone for sending your thoughts and prayers. It really makes me feel good to know that so many people are thinking of me and my family. It is very sobering though to think of how many people there are in this city who have not been as fortunate as we have.

No comments: