Thursday, January 8, 2009

...and visions of Ironman danced in her head...

I just had a GREAT long run.

My new shoes are good, they make my legs feel happy. I had on a new pair of fingerless gloves that were fun. I was slightly warmer than neutral, which is the perfect temperature for me. The crazy wind we've been having lately was thankfully absent.

But what made it awesome was the serious Ironman daydreaming I had going on. I've been doing it for a while, especially on my long workouts, but this one was especially good. A lot of the time I try to picture the bike, since I know it's going to be veeeeerrrry looooong.

But today I was at the special needs bag on the run. I imagined what the perfect pick-me-up at that point would say, like if I had a note in my bag. I imagined how I might feel at that moment, how I might be in a lot of pain and in danger of losing sight of the amazing thing that was happening. How I might have to remind myself of the excitement simmering under the pain, let it come to the surface, and remember to savor every moment instead of wishing to be done. I imagined looking back on the entire year of training I'll have done up to that point, all those hundreds of miles that will have gotten me there, only a few measly miles left to get from I WILL to I DID.

Pretty powerful stuff! I got so into it that I lost track of where I was, never looked at my watch, and ended up running a little too long. Whoops! But I felt great. And now I'm having a decadently delicious "recovery drink" of a vanilla-ice-cream-and-eggnog milkshake, and I am very happy... can you tell??



Happy running, everyone :)

1 comment:

Molly said...

Yay!! Sounds like a great run!!!! Keep those visions up, you're going to do awesome :)