Sunday, January 11, 2009

"Oh it was SO bad..."

A good friend of mine used to say that when he was making fun of Kai for being such a princess. It would go something like this:

"How bad was it, Kai?"
"Oh it was SO bad! They made me go outside, in the RAIN!"

I was thinking of that today while I was riding and it made me laugh a little. Which was good, because I definitely needed something to laugh about! Today's ride was BLECH. I know the wind is always stronger on top of the levee but still I underestimated it. I was supposed to be doing intervals of 75 cadence/high resistance alternated with 95/low- the wind was so bad, there were times I was barely cranking out 75 on the low resistance intervals! That, combined with my 50-mile ride the day before, meant my legs were NOT happy. And what's with the weather, anyway? Yesterday was 75 degrees, sunny and gorgeous. Today was 55, crazy wind, and dreary. Ugh.

One good thing though was my transition run. I've just started running off the bike again now that my Ironman prep is fully underway. It was only a 20 minute run but I was encouraged with how good it felt. Or I guess I should say, how bad it didn't feel, since running off the bike doesn't ever feel exactly what I would call "good"!

At least that bad ride is behind me. Tomorrow is a day off, and Kai rocked at agility class tonight, so I'm in a better mood for sure. But OH, it was SO bad!! :)

1 comment:

Molly said...

Great job! I had a 20 minute brick run too and LOVED it. My legs always feel great running after a hard bike, wish I knew why but I will take it!

So cool that you're biking that kind of mileage already. I had similar intervals on the bike today - made it feel like I'm really getting going on the training finally.

As my masters coach always says, you've got to make it harder in order for it to be easier later - you biked through the wind and everything which means it will be easier for you on race day!