Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Oh, George.

No I don't mean George Bush. I mean George the masters swim coach at the gym. I'm not on the masters team but I often swim at the same time as their practices. George answers my swimming questions and gives me pointers on my stroke, which I appreciate a lot.

He also makes me laugh because he's so darned encouraging. A perfect example of this was a conversation we had tonight. My coach hadn't given me times for my set of 200s, so I asked him about it:

Me: So, how fast do you think I should do the 200s?

George: Um... how about 3 minutes?

Me: No way! That is WAY too fast!!

George: Really?

Me: Yes!

George: Huh. I thought you were faster than that.

Me (laughing): Thanks George, that's real encouraging.

George: Well do you want me to BS you? Tell you, "Oh that's great!!"? You know the times.

Me: (laughing harder): At least you're honest.


I almost choked during that whole first 200 because I kept laughing. George's birthday is on Friday. A bunch of his swimmers are going to meet at the pool to swim and have a drink for his birthday... think I should bring him a really embarrassing present? Singing telegram, perhaps? He'd be thrilled :)

No comments: